Leave Behind an Honorable Legacy….and a Sustainable Future
At Vay-Schleich & Meeson, we strive to help families remember a life more ways than you can imagine. That’s why we offer earth-friendly cremations. Green cremation (also known as earth-friendly or eco-friendly) is the ideal choice for those who are mindful of the environment.
For Those Choosing Cremation
If you or a loved one is considering cremation, there are many options for you to choose from when it comes to keeping your final wishes environmentally friendly. More and more people are exploring new, respectful tributes to their lives that don’t leave behind a heavy carbon footprint.
From use of earth-friendly caskets that do not release harmful chemicals into the atmosphere during the cremation process, to the use of biodegradable, scattering and water burial urns, environmentally-friendly cremation is now an option to explore.
Go Green with Our Firm
Not only are we certified by the Green Burial Council, our staff specializes in an array of earth-friendly cremation services, including:
- Cremations with no preparation or embalming
- Preparation with formaldehyde-free and biodegradable fluids (for those wishing to have a public viewing)
- Private viewings without embalming or use of toxic chemicals
- Eco-friendly cremation caskets and viewing containers
- Eco-friendly biodegradable urns and scattering tubes
- Urn burials without urn vaults
Choosing a Cemetery
Even with cremation, a green burial can take place in nearly any cemetery that allows eco-friendly methods of burial. Our firm offers several options that can help you ensure that your final resting place is both environmentally-friendly and honorable. Typically, cemeteries offering green burials follow these guidelines:
- Offer exclusive green burial sections
- Prohibit the use of urn vaults
- Dig graves by hand rather than using heavy equipment
- Often plant trees or shrubs in lieu of headstones
- Offer designated scattering areas
Currently, White Haven Memorial Park is the only local cemetery offering green or eco-friendly burial options that are certified by the Green Burial Council.
Can cremation really be earth-friendly?
Cremation uses far fewer resources than almost any other disposition option but it does have an environmental impact. Cremation requires the burning of fossil fuels, and some older cremation facilities can use significantly more energy compared to newer ones. Even though the cremation process uses significant resources, earth-friendly cremation options can make the process more earth-friendly.
Below are resources that can help you make informed decisions about earth-friendly services. Please call one of our directors or email us for more information anytime.